Aflas O-Rings are made of tetrafluoroethylene-propylene copolymer (FEPM, TFE/P). This rubber is a copolymer of tetrafluoroethylene and propylene through emulsion polymerization which is a non-toxic, odorless, non-tacky, tawny to the dark brown amorphous polymer.
In 1975, the tetrafluoroethylene-propylene of Asahi Glass Co., Ltd. in Japan was listed under the trade name Aflas®. At first, there were two grades, namely Aflas l00 and Aflas 150. Later, a terpolymer containing the third monomer vinylidene fluoride (VDF) was produced, Aflas 200, which improved cold resistance and improved vulcanization characteristics. Since then, the production and sales have been taken over by the Japan Synthetic Rubber Co., Ltd. under the trade name JSRAflas®.
- Material: Aflas® / Tetrafluoroethylene-Propylene / FEPM or TFE/P
- Temperature Range / Rating: -2 °C (28.4 °F) to 230°C (446 °F)
- Low Operating Temperature Limit: -10 °C (14 °F)
- Maximum Operating Temperature Limit: 230°C (446 °F)
- Durometer Hardness Range: Shore A 40-90
- Standard Durometer Hardness: Shore A 75
- Color: Black (standard), custom color is available
- Outline: Round, square, rectangular, custom
- Cross Section Shape: Round
- Cross Section Width (CS): 0.5 to 20 mm (0.020 to 0.787 inch)
- Inside Diameter (ID): 0.7 to 2965 mm (0.028 to 116.732 inch)
- Standard Size: AS 568, BS 1806, ISO 3601, DIN 3771, JIS B 2401
- Shelf Life: About 20 years
- Price Level: Higher than FKM but lower than FFKM
Aflas o-rings have good chemical compatibility with various types of vehicle fuel, lubricating oil, brake oil, mineral oil, and silicone oil. Their chemical resistance, especially high-concentration acid, alkali, and strong oxidant performance is excellent. Aflas o-rings have excellent resistance to high-pressure water vapor, water resistance, electrical insulation, and low air permeability.
Chemical Resistance Properties
Aflas® (FEPM or TFE/P) rubber is often used to make Aflas o-rings, plates, gaskets, hoses, rollers, diaphragms, valve plates, wires, bottle stoppers, and other products. Aflas o-rings are widely used in the automotive, petroleum, textile, chemical, and food industries.